Saturday, October 29, 2011

Florida Bill on Photographing Farms

     While doing a search for photographs of farms, I found numerous sites up in arms about the bill proposed by Florida Senator, Bill Norman in March 2011 that would make photographing a farm or its animals without the permission of the farm owner a first degree felony.  I must say, this concerned me quite a bit... I do not want to go to jail over a picture of a cow.  Bill decided to revise the bill and make it a misdemeanor if a photo is taken on the property of the farm, but now, a roadside picture is fine.

      It still makes me a leary about taking roadside photos, and I must admit that I was already a little nervous taking photographs by the road anyway.  It feels very voyeuristic, and if it makes me uncomfortable, what about the people that may see me photographing their property?  My intentions are innocent, but they don't know that.  I guess if there was someone out there to ask, I would take that opportunity, but when I am just driving by, looking for a good photo op... the whole process is more a spur of the moment situation.
Here is a link to the story:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/agriculture/sen-jim-norman-scales-back-bill-that-inadvertently-criminalized-farm/1158811

No comments:

Post a Comment